Pages

Friday 5 July 2013

ICE-CREAM SANDWICH

No apples, no jellybeans,nothing of the nerdy stuff in here...at least for now.
It is about the dessert. Ice-cream sandwich..

It was over 5 years ago that my mom took me to this pretty famous Ice-cream shop, down south in Church Gate,Mumbai. It was this shop,nothing very fancy about the way it looked, nothing pretentious, no glitz or glamour ,that which is an omnipresent trait of south Bombay. By the way, Bombay beats Mumbai HANDS DOWN,ANY DAY, ANY NIGHT,ANY MICROSECOND BETWEEN 11.59.59 hrs AND 00.00.00 hrs ..Phew!! Being emphatic about things takes quite a toll!
Sometimes, in the evenings, this shop packs in quite a crowd...quite a startling one at that for such a quaint looking place.

So the shop...Yeah, IT is located on the main road of a very posh locality,but for those who aren't looking for it, they will never see it. It's like platform 9 3/4... Remember that one??
It's like over 50 year old, run by a Parsi family for about 2-3 generations. The shop goes by the name K. Rustom. Goodness I love Parsis' for their influence on Mumbai's food culture!!!!
So I go to this place for the first time, I check the menu. These fellows have like 20 odd flavors. None of them are 'odd' as such. I spot this flavor 'bitter chocolate'(Dark chocolate basically) and I have a place I cannot live without visiting whenever I am back in Bombay for my vacations!

Now here's the deal. The ice-cream on offer has no magical texture like a Gelato or some other rich and fancy variety. It nevertheless tastes ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. Getting into minor technicalities, the ice-cream looks like a 300 ml Tetra Pak carton in terms of volume. They quite literally hand you the ice-cream as it is in your hand,just that on two sides of the ice-cream,they slap on a biscuit-wafer,wrap the whole thing in tissue paper and hand it over. Annnd you then happily chomp along!! Even the price is reasonable. 50 bucks a piece.
Here's what I frankly fear. These folks invented the ice-cream sandwich around 50 years ago, about the time, Douglas C. Engelbart had thoughts of making a Computer Mouse, never thought of their ice-creamy concoction worth calling an invention, kept running the shop, SOMEONE COMES ALONG, SEES THEIR CREATION, TAKES IT SOMEWHERE, MAKES IT MORE FANCY AND PUTS UP THE NAME 'ICE-CREAM SANDWICH'!!!! Notice the crescendo in my tone??
The story sounds very akin to Steve Jobs glorifying the mp3 player by giving the world the IPOD!!
(That device definitely was remarkable though...or so was his presentation!)
You see the tragedy how Apple's software is being challenged by something fancifully called the ICS?? See?? See??
But all said, the one place that shall remain my favourite place in my hometown, at least till either I, or the place shall exist,will be
87 Stadium House, Opposite Ambassador Hotel, Veer Nariman Rd, Churchgate, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400020
"Majja ni life!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment