Pages

Tuesday 9 July 2013

Epic fail !!... Well, not exactly.

I like to experiment with food. Their normal form looks and seems far from intriguing. Yes, there are some classics that are better be left pristine, for instance, mom's Rajma-Chawal but with the rest, a fair amount of personalization and customization sounds is just, specially if one knows the original and nature of the original recipe. You may sometimes...actually have a 'recipe' for disaster, but in the hind sight, you just might end up knowing what not to do the next time.
For instance, I bring to you the 'Banana cake'.
Trust me, the day I thought of this dish, it sounded absurd to myself. But I was tired of the chocolate cake. Yeah, I could have tried a dozen more kinds of cakes, which sounded a lot more familiar. Somehow I was rather adamant about this one. For starters, I was slightly skeptical about the existence of the dish. But I had a sort of a mind map of the 'how-to-go-about' of what I was shooting for.
Nothing too acrobatic. I was pompous enough to check the recipe after I had put my creation into the oven(I was unhappy to discover that I couldn't apply for a patent for my creation.)
I was at least delighted that what I had thought of, as the steps of the recipe, were exactly the same things mentioned online. Yaaaay!!!!!
For the banana cake, take the chocolate cake recipe. Chuck the chocolate out of it(until that is that the next thing I will try...leaving the chocolate in place). Toss out one egg from the mentioned recipe(not if your recipe has only one in it!!). Blend one-and-a-half bananas with half a glass of milk and tip it into the batter. Beat the batter up like you haven't beaten a single soul in life! Take out all your frustration down on the batter!!! Beat the air into(Not out of) it!! Just beat it!!(R.I.P MJ!! Do the rest of the drill as the original recipe tells you to and VOILA!!

But, I had faultered somewhere...Not a glitch in my method, but that in my execution.
I forgot to put sugar. I realized this after all the beating and after putting all the batter into the baking tray. Strangely enough, I was feeling bloody lazy! So I just powdered some sugar, put it right over the beaten-up batter, mixed it all in and popped straight int the oven.
BIG MISTAKE. I was actually supposed to take all the batter out of the tray, put in the sugar, beat the poor thing all over again and then pop it into the oven.
I was particularly feeling bad for the batter. So I was like "Look, okay, don't cry! I'll spare you the horror, and myself the effort of beating you up. Happy?" The batter happily stepped into the inferno that awaited it.
45 minutes later, I had a cake... Instead of being light as a cloud, this thing squatted like a ruddy sumo wrestler!!  My fears came true!!!!!
But I am fine with things going bomb! It is sort of a pricey proposition to learning stuff.
Bullshit okay!! Why the hell can't I get it at first shot??!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment