Pages

Friday 5 July 2013

Discovery!

It's been a while that I wrote a post on cooking. I recently realized that if one can't come up with something, there are 2 things...
1-Think more
2-Quit it.
It's not like you have many more options....well,if there are in your mind, OUT WITH IT!!
I had nothing new on the Foodie-frontier..
Then I suddenly had one. This one's  nothing fancy. Rather a bit too simple. But amazing stuff. At least quite so if you are damn hungry and will do anything to eat something in 5 minutes.
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!!! No FRILLS!! No FANCY!! I present to you...the humble KHICHDI
As far as 'Wikipedian' accuracy goes.... Khichdi is a South Asian preparation made from rice and lentils (dal). Frankly speaking, that's all there is to it.
So it all happened this one fine not-so-shiny morning. My mom was late for work. She had not made anything for the afternoon to feed her only son. Never mind.. So she was like... "Kiddo! I'll tell you the secret trick that my mom told me to fill my stomach"(that must have been told to my grand-mom by her mom and so-on-and-forth) I was like OKKAYY!! :)
So she told me the following....I just put the same stuff in steps...
1-Take rice:lentils(any variety/type you got at home) in a 1:2 ratio.
2-Wash this mixture thoroughly,drain the water off 
3-Whatever volume the rice-lentil mixture comes to, add 2-2.5 times that volume of water into a pressure cooker.
4-Add the rice-lentil mixture into the cooker too(yeah,don't forget this step please!).
5-Add turmeric,chilly powder and salt as per volume of your khichdi(Ideally,for one person consuming one cup small cup of the rice+lentil mixture,half a tea-spoon salt, a bit less than half a tea-spoon of turmeric,chilly as per your liking...)
6-Shut the cooker and put it on high flame.
7-Let the cooker "Blow it's whistle,baby" for 3-4 times at max....and 'There we go!!'(Do not let the cooker's whistle go off more than 3-4 times!!)
Eat it plain, with yogurt, or anything else you please to eat it with.  

No comments:

Post a Comment