Pages

Monday 10 June 2013

Sweet Chick-pea balls A.K.A Besan ke laddu

How hard can this be?? I tried my best while trying to bring out the most 'English' translation of the word laddu... Then I was like,Chuck it! What's in the name?
It' been a while I have done anything radical in the kitchen,except for the usual cakes,Doshas'(Mind you,it's not Dosa) and chapattis(usual for the past month,okay?)..
It's also been a while since I have been pestering my non to teach me to make Besan-Ka-Laddu.
Now,a brief history on my mom..
She belongs to a Keralait/Malayali family that has been settled in Rajasthan for the past...err...60 years. So,apart from the Malayali part of the scene that allowed her to get married to my dad(hmm...now I thank these people's orthodox nature),being from Rajasthan technically guaranteed....well...AMAZING FOOD!!!!!
Ya,so back to the Besan waala laddu. It is one of those things,that if you haven't tasted,your living isn't worth what you think it is. This is the stuff of legends(which one,I know not,but somehow it is!),without of course ruling out the fact that,it is being made by the right(rightful rather) hands.

Okay,Legend part is over,err....My mom's legacy part is over,...I pestering my mom part is over...
The whole searching the Oxford English Dictionary part is overrrr(No,I just made that one up..)....
Oh yeah!!!! The making part!!!
All you need is
Chick pea flour
Powdered sugar
Clarified butter...Arrey yaar GHEE!!!(If traditionally done...LOADS OF IT!!!!...)
Some nuts...use your head for this one
Cardamom(This,rather it's presence/absence makes quite a difference...)
Mayyyybe a few sprinkles of milk all along.
So mix Chick pea flour,the butter in a ratio where you get a sort of bread crumb consistency(Come on!! Search something..Go Figure it out!!!)
Mix in the nuts.Mix this in a preferably huge vat(not for first timers!! You don't want a huge lump of screwed up stuff on the first shot!! You'll never try the next time!!!!!!!)
Mix it all up till the whole mixture is brownish(Not till you realize...OH SHIT!!! IT'S BURNT!!)
If done right,the nose smells something worth dying for.
Now add in the sugar.Don't put too much of sugar..preferably 1/4th to 1/3rd of the amount of the flour.Stick to the lower side.
There's a reason to why you add the sugar towards the end I guess. Annnnnd the best part is.....MY MOM DOESN'T KNOW THIS ONE!!!! (Yeah,I fgured this one out.)Hahahahahahahahaha!!!
But that doesn't make my mom a lesser Amazing cook..But I feel bad that she doesn't ask questions.
You add the sugar in the end probably because,sugar on heating turns brown pretty fast. So if you add the sugar in the very beginning,the whole mixture browns up pretty quickly,and you feel that the flour got cooked all through...and hence,MAKE AN ASS OUT OF YOURSELF,apart from wasting a lot of stuff and killing a dozen people with stomach aches!!!
So sugar in the end!
If you go through the whole jig right,you end up with one of the few things that taste better than Lindt's 85% dak chocolate!
Mom says,if you really want this thing to taste heavenly,stay a bit higher on the GHEE front. Not necessary,but if you did all the rest properly(IFFFF),then that one tad bit extra(Please don't get too enthusiastic about this step,I am a fitness enthusiast.so...) actually helps.
I gobble one every one hour while I am awake(I gream of eating approximately the same amount while I sleep)...So,the thing gets over pretty fast. And thennnn.... I run like HELL!!!!!!
If you are a guy...and you buy this stuff from a shop...Man!! You are impotent!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment